Thursday, October 17, 2013

Butternut Squash Apple Black Bean Stew


Oh those tastes of fall! Get your warm and cozy on with this sweet butternut squash stew. We received a butternut squash from the CSA, and I had planned on making a standard veggie soup similar to the Pumpkin black bean soup I made recently. As I was chopping the celery and onions, I went to reach for some carrots, and passed by my big bowl of apples. I stopped and thought to myself, "What would happen if I used only the butternut squash as the third mirepoix ingredient instead of the usual carrot with the celery and onion? Then instead of vegetable stock, add water, and put a few apples into the mix. Perhaps some raisins too. Hmmm. Sounds like those fall seasonal staples would work together to me!"



Yes they did! What a winner of a dinner at that! Hubby loved this stew/soup so much he stopped the movie we were watching, just to tell me how much he loved it! This is so very easy to make! Seems I never know whether to call these creations soups or stews. Especially this one with apples and raisins in the main dinner entree. Oh well, one thing is for sure... it is deliciousness! Enjoy this naturally sweet taste of fall with nutritious seasonal ingredients. Did I tell you that the leftovers get even better?  Mmmmm.


Butternut Apple Black Bean Stew

1 Butternut Squash
4 stalks celery
1 onion
2-3 apples (I used Gala, Granny Smith would work)
48 oz. spring water
1 can rinsed black beans
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp ginger 
1/4 tsp turmeric

Ingredients are organic. Wash, then peel the squash and apples. Chop the squash, celery, onions, and apples. Add to stock pot with 1/4 cup water to saute and sweat ingredients. Add spice, then the remainder of the water. Simmer for 30 minutes. Then remove about a cup and a half of the mixture. Mash it up and return it to the stew. Add the beans and raisins. Simmer for 30 minutes more. Adjust your spices, add more as needed for taste. Garnish with apple slices. Easy, sweet, light, and oh so wonderful. Don't forget to have a fresh salad, and drink a glass of fresh green juice! We are all about the power of great everyday nutrition!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment