Thursday, May 3, 2012

Banana Strawberry Kefir Smoothie



Kefir being a fermented food, is a pro-biotic like yogurt, but better, because kefir brings good bacteria to the gut, and helps them colonize. Oh yippee good stuff growing inside! Since I bought a non flavored kefir, I decided to make a smoothie, because the fruit would make it sweet. Just in case I did not like the taste of kefir.

Click on 'Read More" below to continue reading post.



Kefir is similar in taste to plain yogurt or buttermilk, but fizzy. And besides being good for digestive health, it contains many nutrients, including B-12, Vitamin K and Biotin.


Banana Strawberry Kefir Smoothie

Two organic bananas
1/2 cup organic strawberries
1/2 cup kefir
1 Tbs organic honey
1 Tsp chia soaked
1 Tbs Flax Powder
1/2 tsp vanilla

The fruits can be frozen or fresh. Just be sure to freeze the banana without its skin! 
I froze the whole thing one time and it was just silly how hard it was to peel a frozen banana! Mix ingredients in your blender or smoothie machine. This made enough for two goblets. Top with a drizzle of kefir and a fresh strawberry!


The smoothie tasted delicious, and yes, 'The King' loved it too! The kefir if tasted alone, is slightly bitter, so I would add kefir to something else, or buy a flavored version. Kefir can be used instead of milk or yogurt in other recipes, even mashed potatoes. I will get this 'new to me' product again since it is a healthy pro-biotic, and see what else we can do with it's magical powers!

3 comments:

  1. Carbohydrates and the starch that is found in them have always been perceived as the enemy in terms of weight gain. Numerous diets have also been based on the myth that carbs are the real culprits behind all those pounds you may have been gaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment about peoples perception of carbs. My weight gain came from thyroid disease, eating processed industrialized food products, and not understanding the nutritional value of fresh organic plants. Since I have been on a mostly plant based diet, eating a few whole grain organic carbs, or organic potatoes, has been no problem for me at all. I simply avoid over processed white flour products, fried, and/or regular supermarket fungicide filled potatoes. Where I would have used a white flour product while baking in the past, I now substitute a gluten free alternative.

    About 10 years ago I was on the well known Atkins no-carb meat eating diet, and I found that is not the best diet for me, or for a healthy body. It is well known now that Dr. Atkins died of heart disease. By sourcing local fresh foods, be they vegetables, chicken or meat, and choosing to buy organic produce and grain products, people can enjoy a healthy well rounded lifestyle of eating. I also encourage people to read every label even if it says 'organic.'

    Since my cholesterol numbers have come down this past year, my doctors and me, are happy to see this way of eating everyday is working quite well. I do not feel I deny myself in any way, and I can eat good tasting vegetables in abundance. Plus I love trying 'new to me' foods, and juicing rocks!

    http://thequeenstable.blogspot.com/2012/04/sucess-reversing-diabetes-high-blood.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kefir by itself so I can't wait to try this smoothie!

    ReplyDelete